Why attend the GESIS Summer School?
At the GESIS Summer School in Survey Methodology you will
- receive high quality training in state of the art techniques and methods of survey research;
- find courses that equip you with essential skills in how to design, plan, conduct, and document all kinds of surveys;
- find courses that teach you how to analyze survey data;
- find both courses that give a broad overview of survey methods and courses that intensively discuss special interest topics in survey research;
- meet new people from different fields and from all over the world to network and discuss your research with;
- enjoy a varied plenary and social program;
- last but not least: Have an exciting time in Cologne, the "most underrated city in Germany" (New York Times).
Who should attend the GESIS Summer School?
The GESIS Summer School is made for you if you are an advanced graduate or PhD student, a post-doc, junior researcher, or survey professional from any relevant field, who:
- is interested in improving their general knowledge and skills in survey methodology;
- is planning to run an own survey or is working for a large-scale survey project;
- wants to update their methodological expertise in specific areas of survey methodology;
- wishes to engage in methodological research with survey data;
- wants to better understand processes of data collection;
- wants to learn how to assess data quality;
- wants to learn how to properly analyze survey data.
In addition to the prerequisites mentioned in the syllabi of the courses, you are expected to
- have basic knowledge of empirical research methods;
- have a good command of English, as the Summer School will entirely be held in English.
Short courses are two-day courses that aim at updating participants’ skills to better fulfill the entrance requirements of some one-week courses or at providing instruction in a specialized area. Short courses consist of about 6 hours of classes per day.
One-week courses consist of 6 hours of classes a day of which around 2 hours are tutorials or labs or exercises (details for each course are provided in the course descriptions).
Given the daily workload, participants can register for one course per week only.
Plenary and Social Program
The GESIS Summer School offers a varied plenary and social program. Participants are invited to attend evening talks by Survey Methodology experts -- this year by Bella Struminskaya, Lukas F. Stoetzer, and Michael Bosnjak. For more details on talks, please refer to the Summer School guide that will be made available to participants some weeks before the Summer School.
As social program, participants are invited to join us in having a good time at our welcome receptions and end-of the week parties. Furthermore, cultural whole day excursions will be offered at the weekends. More details on the three excursions can be found here.
Certificates of attendance
Participants of both short courses and one-week courses will receive one certificate of attendance per course at the end of the course, provided they have attended at least 80% of the course time.
Participants completing a one-week course have the opportunity to earn European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) points from the Graduate School of Economic and Social Sciences at the University of Mannheim. If you wish to earn ECTS credits, you may choose from two options when registering for the Summer School:
Applicants are advised to contact their home institution to inquire about the recognition of ECTS points from the University of Mannheim. Note that you will be charged an administration fee of EUR 20,00 (2 ECTS) or 50,00 (4 ECTS) per course, respectively.
For the short courses we cannot grant ECTS points.
Fees and registration information
| || Student rate || Academic/ non-profit rate || Commercial rate |
| Short courses || 100 € || 140 € || 280 € |
| One week courses || 250 € || 350 € || 700 € |
| 2 ECTS points || 20 € || 20 € || 20 € |
| 4 ECTS points || 50 € || 50 € || 50 € |
Please see Terms and conditions of participation for our cancellation and reimbursement policy.
You can book the courses here.
Scholarships sponsored by DAAD and ESRA are available. You can find detailed information on how to apply here.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
If you need more information or if you have further questions, have a look at our FAQs.
GESIS Summer School Archive
The schedules of past GESIS Summer Schools are available through our archive.