Most Important Issues
What do you think are the most important issues facing (OUR COUNTRY) in the moment? (MAX. 2 ANSWERS)
Issues starting with Eurobarometer 57.2
- Public Transport [only up to Eurobarometer 65.3]
- Economic Situation (TCC: ... in our Community)
- Rising prices / inflation
- Defence / foreign affairs [up to EB 76.3] (TCC: Cyprus issue)
- Housing [not asked as EU issue]
- Health care system [EB 77.3: Health and social security] [not asked as EU issue]
- The educational system [not asked as EU issue]
- Protecting the environment [EB 72.4: The environment]
- Energy related issues (energy prices, energy shortages, etc.) [starting with Eurobarometer 65.3]
- The environment, climate and energy issues [starting with EB 77.3; except EU issues]
- Governmnet debt [EB 74.2 ff.; country issue only; EB 74.2, 75.3 and 76.3 asked to one half of the samples (SPLIT) only; not in EB 83.3]
Follow up question starting with Eurobarometer 70.1
And personally, what are the two most important issues you are facing for the moment?
Specific personal items:
- The financial situation of your household (starting with EB 77.3)
Follow up question starting with Eurobarometer 74.2
What do you think are the two most important issues facing the European Union at the moment?
EU specific items:
- EU's influence in the world
- The state of member states' public finances
- Energy supply
|ZA Study Number||Eurobarometer||Fieldwork Month||Fieldwork Year||Question Number||Variable Name (1)|
(1) Please note that the variable names refer to the final ICPSR/ZA codebook editions, if available.
(2) Slightly different question wording and partly different or modified items: agricultural problems, labour market problems, economic problems, standard of living, housing problems, other social problems, country specific problems (specified), world peace, European unity, other problems
(3) Different question wording (first, second and third most important issues) and partly different or modified items: unemployment, stable prices, European unification, arms limitation, agricultural surplus, environment protection, EC membership Turkey, European Single Market, country specific issues (specified)
(4) Different question wording (first, second and third most important issues) and partly different or modified items: fighting unemployment, securing stable prices, furthering the political unification of Western Europe, solving the immigration problems, reducing the agricultural surpluses, protecting the environment, fighting crime, country specific issues (specified)
(5) Different question wording and after probing the decision level (national or common) for each item: Here are a number of present day problems. For each one would you tell me of these problems, which three would you consider the most important? ... PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT AND FIGHT POLLUTION.
(6) Different question wording and partly different items: I am going to show you a card with a list of topics. Thinking of (OUR COUNTRY), please tell me which 3 topics from this list currently concern you the most. And which 3 topics concern you the most for the next generation?
(7) Only COUNTRY issues and with questionnaire split.
(8) Different question wording (only personally) and country specific items: These days, which are for you the most important topics and events?
(9) Only COUNTRY and EU issues.