Before you submit a proposal, please note the following points:
- Preparing your proposal involves providing several information about your research project by reading and filling out our submission documents (see below).
- Your questionnaire must conform to the GESIS Panel Survey Style Guide. The GESIS Panel cannot accept studies that do not conform to the Style Guide.
- Further, you can find some examples of "What makes a good questionnaire?" in our FAQ about questionnaire design.
- Please note that we also consider study submitters as future reviewers.
Please retrieve the latest versions of all documents required to prepare and to submit a study proposal. They comprise the following files:
- Read_1st_GESIS Panel Proposal Submission Procedure (359 kB)
- Read_2nd_GESIS Panel Survey Style Guide (1.34 MB)
- Read_3rd_GESIS Panel Proposal Submission Checklist (147 kB)
- Read_4th_GESIS Panel Review Criteria (154 kB)
- Read_5th_GESIS Panel Questionnaire Design (262 kB)
- Fillout_and_sign_GESIS Panel General Terms and Conditions (159 kB)
- Fillout_GESIS Panel Proposal Submission Form (83 kB)
- Fillout_and_sign_if_applicable_GESIS Panel Primary Researcher Unipark License Request Form (131 kB)
- Use_GESIS Panel_template_submission (2.20 MB)
All files in one ZIP package:
GESIS Panel_Submission Package.zip (4.44 MB)
Preparing your proposal involves filling out the proposal submission form, creating your survey using the Unipark survey development environment, and preparing a set of submission materials as outlined in the 'Read_1st_GESIS Panel Proposal Submission Procedure'.
Make sure that the following files have been duly prepared as specified above:
- Completed Proposal Submission Form (Word format)
- Your survey project(s) (Unipark GPX file) and corresponding Unipark URL(s)
- Your survey codebooks(s) (XLS, exported via Unipark)
- The General Terms and Conditions signed by you
Please send us all files via email: info(at)gesis-panel(dot)org.
- The GESIS Panel does not accept commercial projects. Moreover, as the aim of the GESIS Panel is to survey people, not to manipulate them, experiments designed to manipulate respondents are not suitable for the GESIS Panel.
- Data collection and data usage for academic purposes is in most cases free of charge
- Planned third-party funded projects to which the GESIS Panel agrees to collect data for their research proposal are required to cover part of the incentive costs. Further information is available on request
- There are limited slots for funded projects. If you intend to run a funded project in the GESIS Panel please let us know as early as possible to adjust timely possibilities of data collection.
- Funded projects cannot be given priority over other research projects.
- The GESIS Panel welcomes proposals for single-wave studies (i.e., cross-sectional designs) as well as multiple-wave studies (i.e., longitudinal studies including multiple cross-sectional designs and panel designs).
- Only studies that take full advantage of the entire panel can be considered; cohort or sub-sample studies are not eligible for consideration.
Researchers may wish to use the services of the GESIS Pretest Lab prior to submitting their proposals/questionnaires. The GESIS Pretest Lab supports researchers in optimizing their survey questions prior to data collection in order to ensure high quality of the collected data.
ZIS stands for the Collection of Items and Scales for the Social Sciences (German: ZIS - Zusammenstellung sozialwissenschaftlicher Items und Skalen). ZIS contains more than 250 instruments, e.g. items for measuring political attitudes or personality. Click here for more information on the documentation of existing Items and Scales for the Social Sciences.