GESIS – Leibniz-Institute for the Social Sciences is an internationally recognized social science institute. It is part of the Leibniz Association and recipient of both federal and state funding.
We are seeking for the Department of Survey Design and Methodology at our location in Mannheim a
Research Associate (PostDoc) (m/f)
(salary group 13 TV-L, full-time, initially limited to 4 years)
starting as soon as possible.
The department "Survey Design and Methodology" (SDM) covers the entire spectrum of social science survey research – from design development to questionnaire construction and sampling as well as field and data coding and analysis.
The position is part of the "Survey Operations" team, which focuses on services and recommendations concerning field work and survey errors such as errors due to unit and item nonresponse, errors due to interviewers, or errors due to the survey mode. In addition, the team conducts its own surveys.
Your tasks will include:
- Independently developing standardized infrastructure (e.g., writing GESIS survey guidelines, development of training courses)
- Writing scientific publications and working on collaborative projects with the team Survey Operations and other project partners
- Consulting in external research project in the areas of study planning and field work
- Planning and conducting of research syntheses (systematic reviews and meta-analyses) and experiments in the areas of study planning, field monitoring, and data quality
- Acquiring third-party funding
Your profile is:
- Excellent PhD degree in the social sciences (e.g. sociology, political sciences, psychology, survey methodology), ideally with a focus in an area of survey operations (e.g. responsive designs, mixed-mode surveys or para data)
- Publishing experience in international peer reviewed scientific journals
- Very good knowledge of research methods as well as statistical analysis of large-scale survey data (using SPSS, Stata, and/or R)
- Experience in acquiring third-party funding is a plus
- Proficiency in German and English (spoken and written)
- Independent and proactive working style
- Ability to work as a part of a team
We support your career development. Information about career paths and opportunities can be found here.
GESIS guarantees that guidelines regarding employment laws for the disabled and handicapped as well as laws and regulations governing part-time employment will be observed. GESIS is an equal opportunity employer and is certified by the European work & family audit. ´
For further information regarding the position, please contact Dr. Henning Silber by phone: +49(0)621-1246-553 or E-Mail. For questions concerning the application process, please contact Melanie Schuck at +49(0)621/1246-157.
Please note that we only accept online applications. You can apply here until October 03rd, 2017.
The key number is: SDM-85
PDF-File (196 KB)