The PIAAC background questionnaire collects key demographic data on the respondents, for example their age, educational attainment level, and occupational situation. In addition, employed individuals are asked about their work environment and the various skills they use at work. All respondents are administered questions about their use of different skills in everyday life. The questionnaire also includes questions on the respondents’ attitudes and other background information such as household size and language spoken at home. This information makes it possible to identify factors that influence adult competencies and skills.
The main elements of the PIAAC background questionnaire are:
- general information about respondents and their households
- education and training background
- current employment and job history
- use of skills at work and in everyday life
- attitudes to learning and to everyday issues
- participation in social life