The Research Data Center PIAAC (RDC PIAAC) has been accredited by the German Data Forum (RatSWD) according to uniform and transparent standards and informs on this website about currently available datasets from the Programme for the International Assessment of Adult Competencies (PIAAC). To download PIAAC data via the GESIS Data Catalogue (DBK), ordinarily a registration (Registration) and signing a data distribution contract is required. Several documents such as variable reports and questionnaires are available without registration. Furthermore, we offer PIAAC data users the possibility to work with more sensitive data (e.g., regional data) at our GESIS Secure Data Center (SDC).
If you have any questions regarding our offering, please do not hesitate to contact us.
|Previous international literacy surveys|
*** Complaints Office ***
FDZ PIAAC is accredited by the German Data Forum (RatSWD). The RatSWD runs a complaints office for problems with the use of data that cannot be resolved with the appropriate person in the respective FDZ. For further details please visit the RatSWD website: https://www.ratswd.de/en/info/complaints-office.
The User Guide contains information about how to link data of the PIAAC Scientific Use Files to the PIAAC Public Use Files of other countries and how to deal with plausible values and the replication weights.
Tools for the analysis
Please note that special analysis software is required to account for the imputation of competence values and the complex sampling design. For this purpose various preconfigured analysis tools are available.
|National Result Reports (GESIS)|
RDC Annual Reports
|Additional PIAAC Material|
PIAAC publication list (APA Style)
*** Please report your publication based on PIAAC to the following mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org ***
Search in the databases
On the webpage da|ra metadata you can search for certain data in the collection of registered research databases from the social and economic sciences.
Citation example of data sets
- Rammstedt, B., Martin, S., Zabal, A., Konradt, I., Maehler, D., Perry, A., . . . Helmschrott, S. (2016). Programme for the International Assessment of Adult Competencies (PIAAC), Germany - Reduced Version. Data file version 2.2.0 [ZA5845]. Cologne: GESIS Data Archive. doi:10.4232/1.12660
Team RDC PIAAC
Dr. Débora Maehler (Head of RDC)
GESIS - Leibniz-Institute for the Social Sciences
Research Data Center PIAAC
PO Box 12 21 55
- New: "Large-Scale Cognitive Assessment - Analyzing PIAAC Data" (Open Access)
- "PIAAC Bibliography 2008 - 2019" published in GESIS Papers No. 2020|04
- International Adult Literacy Survey (IALS), Germany published
- Find datasets via da|ra metadata
- International news also available in PIAAC Buzz Newsletter