The international consortium for PIAAC consists of six organizations from four different countries. Dr. Irwin Kirsch at Educational Testing Service (ETS) in Princeton, USA, is responsible for the overall coordination of PIAAC.
The consortium has the following tasks:
- International project management
- Quality control
- Development of competency measures
- Development of the background questionnaire
- Development of the computer delivery platform
- Development of standards for sampling and survey operations
- International data management
- Data scaling and analysis
The distribution of tasks among the international partners:
- ETS: In addition to the overall coordination of the consortium, ETS is responsible for the assessment of cognitive competencies, data scaling and analysis as well as the development and support of the PIAAC survey platform.
- cApStAn: cApStAn (Brussels) develops the general translation guidelines and is responsible for the linguistic control (verification) of all survey instruments in all languages of the participating countries.
- GESIS: As part of the international consortium, GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences is responsible for the validation of the background questionnaire and for the preparation of translation guidelines for the background questionnaire.
- IEA: The International Association for the Evaluation of Educational Achievement (IEA) is located in Hamburg. As a member of the PIAAC consortium, IEA is responsible for data management and data processing at the international level; they will produce the final international data sets.
- ROA: The Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA), a research institute based at the University of Maastricht, is responsible for the conceptual development and content of the background questionnaire.
- Westat: Westat, a US-based research and service institute in the field of survey methods, is responsible for sampling and weighting as well as for survey operations and interviewer training.