Given the fact that various services, such as archives, libraries, university data repositories or research data centers, are providing nationally and internationally distributed, heterogeneous databases, the question increasingly arises how data can be described and found in the context of various disciplines as well as in the social science context.
In the framework of the topic "Interoperable Metadata", GESIS is exploring how existing metadata standards (e.g. DDI, Dublin Core, DataCite, da|ra) can be used to develop networked infrastructures for finding research data. For this purpose, it is necessary that the metadata in the different systems can be mapped to one another, that means that they are compatible with one another. First results, such as the use of the metadata of the GESIS Dataset Catalog (DBK) in the B2Find (EUDAT)catalog as well as the OpenAire system, show how these networked catalogs enable the integrated search of research data from different scientific disciplines.
- Orten, Hilde, and Joachim Wackerow. 2011. "The ISCED Standard for Coding of Education and DDI-Lifecycle." EDDI11 - 3rd Annual European DDI Users Group Meeting. http://legacy.iza.org/conference_files/EDDI2011/call_for_papers/EDDI11%20C1%20-%20Hilde%20Orten%20-%20The%20ISCED%20Standard%20for%20Coding%20of%20Education%20and%20DDI-Lifecycle.pptx.
- Orten, Hilde, and Joachim Wackerow. 2012. "DDI Resource Packages and How They Can Be Used in the Data Production Process." EDDI12 – 4th Annual European DDI User Conference. http://www.eddi-conferences.eu/ocs/index.php/eddi/eddi12/paper/view/27.
- Wackerow, Joachim. 2016. "Publishing DDI-Related Topics - Advantages and Challenges of Creating Publications." EDDI16 – 8th Annual European DDI User Conference. https://zenodo.org/record/259564.
- Wackerow, Joachim. 2011. "DDI3 Uniform Resource Names: locating and providing the related DDI3 objects." http://www.iassistdata.org/downloads/2010/2010_b4_wackerow.pdf.
- Gregory, Arofan, and Joachim Wackerow. 2011. "Triple session: Recent Developments in the DDI Implementation Landscape." IASSIST Conference 2011. http://www.iassistdata.org/downloads/2011/2011_a1_gregory.pdf.