Given the fact that various services, such as archives, libraries, university data repositories or research data centers, are providing nationally and internationally distributed, heterogeneous databases, the question increasingly arises how data can be described and found in the context of various disciplines as well as in the social science context.
In the framework of the topic "Interoperable Metadata", GESIS is exploring how existing metadata standards (e.g. DDI, Dublin Core, DataCite, da|ra) can be used to develop networked infrastructures for finding research data. For this purpose, it is necessary that the metadata in the different systems can be mapped to one another, that means that they are compatible with one another. First results, such as the use of the metadata of the GESIS Dataset Catalog (DBK) in the B2Find (EUDAT)catalog as well as the OpenAire system, show how these networked catalogs enable the integrated search of research data from different scientific disciplines.
Learn more about our consulting and services:
- Recker, Jonas, and Anja Perry. 2023. "Queering Data Queries: Facilitating the discovery of MORGAI data." IASSIST Conference 2023, 2023-06-01. doi: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.8005598.
- Bittermann, André, Veronika Batzdorfer, Sarah Marie Müller, and Holger Steinmetz. 2021. "Mining Twitter to detect hotspots in psychology." Zeitschrift für Psychologie 229 (1): 3-14. doi: https://doi.org/10.1027/2151-2604/a000437.
- Bensmann, Felix, Lars Heling, Stefan Jünger, Loren Mucha, Maribel Acosta, Jan Göbel, Gotthard Meinel, Sujit Sikder, York Sure-Vetter, and Benjamin Zapilko. 2020. "An Infrastructure for Spatial Linking of Survey Data." Data Science Journal 19 (1): 27. doi: https://doi.org/10.5334/dsj-2020-027.
- Jünger, Stefan, Kerrin Borschewski, and Wolfgang Zenk-Möltgen. 2019. "Documenting georeferenced social science survey data: Limits of metadata standards and possible solutions." Journal of Map & Geography Libraries 15 (1): 68-95. doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/15420353.2019.1659903. https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/IQCYSYEG3UHYRA3EE7SX/full?target=10.1080/15420353.2019.1659903.
- Wackerow, Joachim, and Thomas Bosch. 2014. "PHDD – An RDF Vocabulary for the Physical Data Description." North American Data Documentation Initiative Conference (NADDI) 2014. http://summit.sfu.ca/item/13948.