Social scientists are increasingly drawing on new forms of data beyond the traditional genres of surveys and interviews. These data include administrative records, commercial transactions, social media and internet data, geo-spatial data, and image and audio data. These types of new data present challenges for technical infrastructure, legal governance, and ethically responsible research and digital preservation.
Researchers at GESIS are investigating several vital topics in this domain:
- linking digital behavioral data (e.g., social media) with survey data
- digital preservation of social media data to enable access while protecting privacy
- georeferencing surveys to link them to small-scale neighborhood information found in geo-spatial data
Analyzing Digital Behavioral Data
Methods, tools, frameworks and infrastructures for analyzing digital behavioral data.
CSS Capacity Building
Talks, tutorials, materials on computational methods for the collection, processing, and analysis of digital behavioral data.
Digital Behavioral Data: Datasets
Curated digital behavioral data – datasets for scientific re-use.
- Batzdorfer, Veronika. 2022. "R Programming Workshop for the BMBF Conference on Research on Digitalisation for Cultural Education. "Analysing Social Media and Text Mining in R"." Friedrich-Alexander Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Nürnberg.
- Breuer, Johannes, Stefan Jünger, and Veronika Batzdorfer. 2022. "GESIS Summer School in Survey Methodology. Introduction to R for Data Analysis." GESIS - Leibniz-Institut für Sozialwissenschaften, Köln.
- Striewski, Sören, Olga Zagovora, and Isabella Peters. 2022. "Scientific Discourse on YouTube: Motivations for Citing Research in Comments." In Proceedings of the Association for Information Science and Technology, edited by Dirk Lewandowski, and Garrett Doherty, 59 1, 299-309. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley. doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/pra2.754.
- Batzdorfer, Veronika, Holger Steinmetz, Marco Biella, and Meysam Alizadeh. 2022. "Conspiracy theories on Twitter: Emerging motifs and temporal dynamics during the COVID-19 pandemic." International Journal of Data Science and Analytics 13 315–333. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s41060-021-00298-6.
- Zagovora, Olga, Roberto Ulloa, Katrin Weller, and Fabian Flöck. 2022. "'I updated the ': The evolution of references in the English wikipedia and the implications for altmetrics." Quantitative Science Studies 3 (1): 147-173. doi: https://doi.org/10.1162/qss_a_00171.