Our research on Survey Instruments aims to increase the quality of measurement in surveys. Thus, we develop quality-tested data collection instruments, adapt existing instruments for their use as German-speaking instruments or we harmonize different instruments. We investigate the effects of questionnaire design in different modes of data collection and examine response styles. Furthermore we look at the response process by using behavioral data produced by eye tracking systems. So we are able to generate knowledge about these important cognitive processes.
Exemplary research topics are:
- Harmonization of data collection instruments
- Measurement of occupation in cross-cultural context
- Development and validation of short scales for non-cognitive skills
- New methods of cognitive pretesting, e.g. web probing and eye-tracking
- Effects of questionnaire design on quality and equivalence of measurement
- Relevance, structure and determinants of acquiescence
- Estimation of reliability and validity with Structural Equation Models
- Selection of items by means of Ant-Colony-Algorithms
Items & Scales
Research tested items and scales or request us to develop new ones for your research project
Consulting on the measurement of socio-structural characteristics
Consulting on questionnaire design, item and scale development, socio-structural characteristics and questionnaire translations
Consultation on the translation of multilingual and international questionnaires
- Heath, Anthony F., and Silke L. Schneider. 2021. "Dimensions of migrant integration in Western Europe." Frontiers in Sociology 6 (510987). doi: https://doi.org/10.3389/fsoc.2021.510987.
- Singh, Ranjit K.. 2020. "Standards und Harmonisierung: Eine integrative Betrachtung der Akteure und Dynamiken der Umfrageharmonisierung." GESIS-Symposium „Sozialstrukturelle Merkmale in Umfragen: Erhebung, Kodierung, Harmonisierung“, Virtuell, 28.09.2020.
- Quandt, Markus, and Antonia May. 2019. "Classifying a Large Number of Countries by their Populations’ Shares of Ethnic and Civic Types of National Identification." European Survey Research Association conferences, University of Zagreb, Zagreb.
- Quandt, Markus, and Antonia May. 2019. "Using Latent Class Analysis for testing the equivalence of multi-item scales across data from different survey programs. The example of National Identity types." Conference of the ‘Survey Data Recycling Project’: Building Multi-Source Databases for Comparative Analyses, Institute of Philosophy and Sociology of the Polish Academy of Sciences Warsaw, Poland, 16.12.2019.
- Schneider, Silke L.. 2019. "The classification of educational attainment in social surveys: a generalized framework." Expert workshop on ‘Comparative Analysis of Longitudinal Data on Educational Outcomes’, Deutsches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Berlin, 27.11.2019.