In the area of Survey Operations, basic and application-oriented research is carried out on various questions of data collection and survey design. Topics include the design of online and mixed-mode surveys, data linkage, use of geo and paradata, field control and interviewer effects as well as interview training.
Research topics, which are investigated in particular on the basis of the GESIS Panel as well as the research projects carried out in the team, are for example:
- Panel recruitment
- Sample refreshment
- Incentives and response rates
- Machine learning
- Push-to-web strategies in mixed-mode surveys
- Responsive and adaptive designs
- Performance-related motivation of interviewers
- Determinants of successful interviewer training
- Identification of counterfeits in surveys
- Determinants of Interview Effects
- Mobile Surveys
- Data Linkage
- Response behavior and social desirability
Learn more about our consulting and services:
- Rammstedt, Beatrice, Silke Martin, Anouk Zabal, Ingo Konradt, Débora B. Maehler, Anja Perry, Natascha Massing, Daniela Ackermann-Piek, and Susanne Helmschrott. 2016. Programme for the International Assessment of Adult Competencies (PIAAC), Germany - Reduced version: Data file version 2.2.0 [ZA5845]. Cologne: GESIS Data Archive. doi:10.4232/1.12660. https://dbk.gesis.org/DBKSearch/SDESC2.asp?no=5845&db=E.
- Rammstedt, Beatrice, Silke Martin, and Débora B. Maehler. 2018. "Coverage of the migrant population in large-scale assessment surveys: Experiences from PIAAC in Germany." Third Policy Forum on Learning from Data at the OECD, 2018-02-12.
- Nießen, Désirée, Clemens Lechner, and Daniel Danner. 2018. "Erfolgreich in die Berufsausbildung: Die Rolle der Persönlichkeit für den Übergang von der Schule in die Ausbildung." 6. Tagung der Gesellschaft für Empirische Bildungsforschung (GEBF) in Basel, Schweiz, 2018-02-16.
- Hoyle, Larry, Louise Corti, Arofan Gregory, Agustina Martinez, Joachim Wackerow, Eirik Alvar, Noemi Cabrera, Damien Gallagher, Tobias Gebel, Jani Hautamaki, Arja Kuula, Steven McEachern, and Cornelia Züll. 2013. "A qualitative data model for DDI." DDI Working Paper Series 2013. doi: https://doi.org/10.3886/DDIWorkingPaper05.
- Gauly, Britta, and Clemens Lechner. 2018. "Self-selection vs. Self-perfection: The Relationship Between Training and Adult Competencies." Research Seminar, Chair of Bernd Fitzenberger, HU Berlin.