All EVS data and documentation is openly accessible and available free of charge through the EVS and GESIS websites. Processing of data and documentation is realized in close collaboration between EVS teams at Tilburg University and the GESIS Data Archive.
Free of charge data and documentation download
- Data Catalogue: download of data sets, questionnaires, and variable reports via data catalogue entry (study description)
- Registration is required for download of data sets only
- Section ‘Errata and Versions’ provides information about dataset versions, updates, errors, and error corrections (patches).
- ZACAT: data and documentation provided for retrieval purposes and data exploration; user support in
- Searching on study- and variable-level
- Identifying trend variables of all EVS waves and comparing original questions of EVS 1999 and 2008
- Online analysis.
Data and documentation formats
- Data is provided in several file formats: e.g.SPSS (*.sav and portable files *.por) or STATA (*.dta)
- Documentation is provided as printable PDF files: Master questionnaire (English), national questionnaire (original language),variable reports (English master question and frequency counts), bilingual variable documentation (facilitating a direct comparison of English master questions and original questions for EVS 1999 and 2008).
Registration and errata services
- Registration: Data downloads are available after registration. Users of data from both systems, Data Catalogue and ZACAT, need to sign in with user name (e-mail address) and password. New users have to register first. Your Data Catalogue account is valid for ZACAT and vice versa.
If you want to register or edit your existing registration, please go to the Registration Form.
- Errata: To get as error-free datasets as possible, we are thankful for your help. If you find mistakes in the datasets or documentation of the EVS please let us know by sending a short note to the GESIS Data Archive (E-Mail).
Bibliographic citation of EVS research data
- Example: Citation of an integrated dataset
EVS (2011): European Values Study 2008: Integrated Dataset (EVS 2008). GESIS Data Archive, Cologne. ZA4800 Data file version 3.0.0, doi:10.4232/1.11004