|Latest news on this wave|
|Current dataset version: Release v3.0.0 as of November 2011, doi:10.4232/1.10791. |
For further information on data download, see Data Access
The first EVS wave was carried out 1981 with the aim of explore the basic human values underlying European social and political institutions. The surveys were conducted in the then EU Member States, as well as the USA and Canada. Nationally representative samples were selected. The target number of interviews in each country was set at 1000, with an additional booster quota sample of 200 young adults aged 18-24. Personal interviews with standardized questionnaires were conducted between 1981 and 1984. The national datasets were combined into an international dataset including a total of 16 countries. There is also an overview of participating countries in the several EVS waves provided.
- Study description: Information on origin and content of data, version history and errata, and direct access to the data.
- Variable Report: Documentation of the Integrated Dataset with question texts of the English Master Questionnaire and frequency counts by country.
- Master Questionnaire: EVS basic questionnaire.
- Measuring and Comparing Values in 16 Countries of the Western World: Documentation of the European Values Study 1981-1990 in Europe and North America, Loek Halman and Astrid Vloet, WORC report 94.11.001, November 1994. (PDF file can be downloaded here).
- The Common EVS/WVS Dictionary – EVS Trend provides an overview of all variables used in the five EVS waves and their correspondence in terms of comparability. Further, the EVS variable catalogue in the GESIS Search contains the variable documentation and enables the search for variables and questions as well as their comparison.
- Field questionnaires (FQ) in all languages fielded in the respective country, including Show Cards.
EVS 1981-2008 Method Overview: Summarized information for all participating countries on origin and content of data.
|Country||Study-No.||Field work period||Sample size||Questionnaire|
|Belgium||ZA4439||01-03-1981 - 31-05-1981||1145||FQ|
|Denmark||ZA4440||01-03-1981 - 31-05-1981||1182||FQ|
|France||ZA4441||01-03-1981 - 31-05-1981||1200||FQ|
|Germany West||ZA4442||01-03-1981 - 31-05-1981||1305||FQ|
|Great Britain||ZA4443||01-03-1981 - 31-05-1981||1167||FQ|
|Ireland||ZA4444||01-03-1981 - 31-05-1981||1217||FQ|
|Italy||ZA4446||01-03-1981 - 31-05-1981||1348||FQ|
|Malta||ZA4448||11-1983 - 02-1984||467||FQ|
|Netherlands||ZA4449||01-03-1981 - 31-05-1981||1221||FQ|
|Northern Ireland||ZA4450||01-03-1981 - 31-05-1981||312||FQ|
|Norway||11-1982 - 12-1982||1051|
|Spain||ZA4451||01-03-1981 - 31-05-1981||2303||FQ|
|USA||ZA4452||01-03-1982 - 31-03-1982||2325||FQ|