European Data Laboratory for Comparative Social Research - Transnational access to major research infrastructures for research teams and individual researchers
Leitung: Dr h.c. Ekkehard Mochmann; seit Feb. 2009 Dr. Ingvill C. Mochmann
Wissenschaftlicher Arbeitsbereich: Datenarchiv für Sozialwissenschaften (DAS)
Within this EU funded transnational access project GESIS offers 1500 access days to its data bases, training in advanced data analysis and data archive management. The EUROLAB at the GESIS Department Data Archive in Cologne is a European Data Laboratory for Comparative Social Research created in 1996 as access facility to more than 5000 data sets and data collections in the GESIS holdings from all fields of empirical social research. These include cross section studies, trend studies, panel studies and time series. Access to meta data in English language on study and variable level is supported by leading edge of technology data base systems designed for comparative social research. Given that GESIS also offers international training courses in advanced techniques of data analysis a comprehensive program library for statistical analyses provides most recent software releases. Related publications based on these data bases are accessible via information systems in the GESIS library with about 20.000 volumes and more than 140 continuously held national and international social science journals.
This access is well assisted by the methodological and technical expertise of staff, especially in the fields of multi level analysis, time series analysis and methods of comparative social research. Their expertise is well anchored in international research networks and development projects. Visiting scholars can also profit from an active intellectual environment including a cluster of social and economic research institutes at the University of Cologne.
An international selection panel evaluates the applications on a competitive basis. An application form and details on applications procedures can be found on the EUROLAB Internet pages.
Projektlaufzeit1.4. 2006-31.12 2010
- Bartkowski, Jerzy (under review): Attitudes towards Local Government in Poland in a Comparative Perspective., to be published in: Polish Sociological Review - journal of Polish Sociological Association.
- Bartkowski, Jerzy: Europeanization as Modernization. Polish Self-government and European Union. In: Joanna Kurczewska (ed.). Faces of Local Identities. ("Oblicza lokalności"). Warsaw: Wydawnictwo IFiS PAN 2008
- Cebotari, Victor: Feelings of National Pride in Europe: Comparative Evidence Between Ethnic Minority and and Majority Groups. In: Conflicting Demands in Ethnically Diverse Societies. Ethnopolitical Contention and Identity Values in Europe. PhD. Maastricht: Boekenplan 2010.
- Garzia, Diego: Changing Parties, Changing Partisans. The Personalization of Partisan Attachments in Germany, Italy, and the Netherlands. GESIS Working Papers 2011/12.
- Gherghina, Sergiu: "Supporting the EU with(out) Political Knowledge: Empirical Evidence from a New Joiner", Romanian Journal of European Affairs, vol. 10, no. 4, 2010, 66-77.
- Lup, Oana (2009): The role of political discussion in developing democracies. Evidence from Hungary. In: Michael R. Wolf, Laura Morales, Ken'ichi Ikeda (ed.). Political discussion in modern democracies. A comparative perspective. Routledge: London.
- Odella, Francesca (2008): Social Interaction and Privacy Issues in Pervasive Technologies, paper presented at 58th Political Studies Association Annual Conference, April 1-3 2008, Swansea, UK.
- Odella, Francesca (2010): Exploring the Realm of Privacy: The Institutional Process of the European Personel Data Privacy Directive. In: The International Journal of Technology, Knowledge and Society. Volume 6, Issue 6, pp.203-218.
- Pop, Cosmina (2009): Ingredientele unei vieţi bune şi ale unui standard decent de viaţă în România şi în Europa (The ingredients of a good life and of a decent standard of living in Romania and Europe], in Journal Quality of Life, no 1-2/2009. Available online at: http://www.revistacalitateavietii.ro/2008/CV-3-4-2008/01.pdf
- Precupetu, I. (2008): The theory and methodology of subjective well being. In: Marginean, I.; Precupetu, I. (eds): Methodology of quality of life. Bucharest: Romanian Academy Publishing House. (in Romanian).
- Rughinis, Cosima and Toader, Roxana. Education and Scientific Knowledge in European Societies. Exploring Measurement Issues in General Population Surveys. In Studia Sociologia no. 1 / 2010, pp. 175-202 (available online!)
- Rughiniş, Cosima(2010) 'Quantitative tales of ethnic differentiation: measuring and using Roma/Gypsy ethnicity in statistical analyses', Ethnic and Racial Studies,, First published on: 14 October 2010 (iFirst). LINK
- Rughiniş, Cosima: "A Lucky Answer to a Fair Question: Conceptual, Methodological, and Moral Implications of Including Items on Human Evolution in Scientific Literacy Surveys". Science Communication. First published on May 19, 2011. LINK. doi: 10.1177/1075547011408927
- Vlas, Natalia & Sergiu Gherghina, "Where Does Religion meet Democracy? A Comparative Analysis of Attitudes in Europe", International Political Science Review, forthcoming September 2011.
- Voicu, Bogdan; Voicu, Mălina: Social Capital and Attitudes towards Welfare State across Europe, Paper presented at The 8th European Sociological Association Conference, Glasgow, 3rd – 6th of September 2007, RN 26: Sociology of Social Policy.
- Voicu, Bogdan; Voicu, Malina (eds.). 2007: Valori ale romanilor: 1993-2006. Iasi: Institutul European (ISBN 9789736114878) (Romanian version).
- Voicu, Malina (2008). Religiosity and religious rivival during the transition period in Romania. In: Voicu, Bogdan; Voicu, Malina (eds.). 2008: ‘Romanian’s Values: 1993-2006’. Iasi: Institutul European (English version), p. 144-168
- Voicu, Bogdan (2008). Between tradition and postmodernity? A dynamic of value orientations in Romania: 1993-2005. In: Voicu, Bogdan; Voicu, Malina (eds.). 2008: ‘Romanian’s Values: 1993-2006’. Iasi: Institutul European (English version), p. 261-308.
- Voicu, Bogdan; Voicu, Malina (submitted for publication): The effects of bridging social capital on the attitudes towards the welfare state across Europe.
- Voicu, Bogdan (2008): Social values, working time and the future of society. In: Otto Neumaier, Gottfried Schweiger, Clemens Sedmak (eds.): Perspectives on Work: Problems, Insights, Challenges. Münster, Hamburg, London: LIT Publisher Group. pp. 141-158.
- Voicu, Malina (2010): Valori sociale ale tranzitiei post-comuniste. Iasi: Lumen.
- Vlas, Natalia; Gherghina, Sergiu (2009): Convergence or Replacement? Attitudes towards Political and Religious Institutions in Contemporary Romania. Journal for the Study of Religions and Institutions, 8, 24 (Winter 2009): 70-94.
- Yanakiev, Y. (2009). Public Perceptions of Terrorist Threat and Muslim Communities in Europe, Paper Presented at the International Conference High Defense Technologies Against Terrorism, 29–30 May 2008, Plovdiv, Bulgaria. In: Proceedings of HEMUS International Conference 2008, “St. George Pobedonosets” Publishing House, Sofia, 515–522.
- Yanakiev, Yantsislav: Institutionalizing European Defence: Main Trends in European Public Opinion in the age of the Global War on Terror, paper presented at International Sociological Association conference of RC01 "Armed Forces and Conflict Resolution", Seoul 12-17 July 2008.
- Yanakiev, Yantsislav: Comparative Study on Public Perceptions of Terrorist Threat in Europe 2001-2006, paper presented at the HEMUS International Exhibition and conference, 29-30 May 2008, Plovdiv Bulgaria.
- Yanakiev, Yantsislav: Public perceptions of terrorist threat in Europe, paper presented at the NATO Research and Technology Task Group "Psychosocial, Cultural and Organizational Issues of Terrorism" Meeting 1-2 Nov 2007, Brussels.