The Mannheim Eurobarometer Trend File 1970-2002 (ZA3521) is the product of a co-operation between:
- Mannheimer Zentrum für Europäische Sozialforschung (MZES) and
- former "Zentrum für Umfragen, Methoden und Analysen" (GESIS)
- former "Zentralarchiv für Empirische Sozialforschung" (GESIS)
The trend variables and data have been harmonized under the following aspects:
- variable names
- variable and value labels
- coding over time
- recalculated weighting factors (up to survey 31)
The current trend file data set edition v2.0.1 (doi:10.4232/1.10074) includes data from the European Communities Studies 1970 up to Eurobarometer 57.2 (2002), in total 86 waves, 145 variables, and over 1.000.000 cases.
- Study Description - data catalogue entry including DATA DOWNLOAD for registered users after signing in
- Codebook - overview and detailed documentation of trend variables (revision as of June 17, 2009)
- Codebook Appendix - detailed documentation of country specific trend variables and categories (revision as of June 17, 2009)
- ZACAT or DBK online data download (free of charge)
The project was realized under the responsibility of Hermann Schmitt (MZES). The trend catalogue and the standard Eurobarometer data have been retrieved from the data bases of the former Center for European Survey Analysis and Studies (ZEUS). They have been up-dated from individual files obtained from the ZA. In its beginning the ZEUS data base was built on the single Eurobarometer editions as produced and distributed by ICPSR.
The cumulative Eurobarometer project is continued in cooperation between MZES and GESIS.
ZA study 3521 (data set edition v2.0.1) replaces former cumulative data sets ZA1684, ZA2533, and ZA3521 (former edition versions).
- NUTS 1 level data (REGION II) for the NETHERLANDS are not (re-)coded in accordance with the official EUROSTAT nomenclature of territorial unit statistics. The NUTS 2 level province ZEELAND should be coded as belonging to NUTS 1 region (landsdel) WEST instead of SOUTH Netherlands. (November 11, 2005)
- Starting with Eurobarometer 56.3 British data for SIZE OF COMMUNITY (sizecmty) seem to be inverted. A clear majority of respondents coded '1' (RURAL, VILLAGE) in TYPE OF COMMUNITY (typecmty) are coded '4' (METROPOLITAN) in SIZECMTY respectively '2' or '3' (SMALL TOWN or LARGE TOWN) in TYPECMTY and '1' (RURAL) in SIZECMTY. There are no changes in the fieldquestionnaire scale for TYPECMTY. With respect to the coding of SIZECMTY no original field document has been supplied. For Great Britain these variables should be used with caution.
- The Dutch political party "Centrum Democraten" is coded as belonging to the liberal party family (code 302). Although it fostered a more moderate image than its predecessor the "Centrum Partij", this party would have more likely to be classified as (extreme?) right wing party.
- In variable VOTEINT some categories are inverted for DENMARK in EUROBAROMETER 28. Data have been corrected in data set edition 2.01 as of August 25, 2008. The following recode should be executed in former releases if NATION1 = 7 and EB = 280: (4=104) (401=100) (600=401) (990=600).