Indo-German Workshop on Information Retrieval, Informetrics & Scientometrics (IRIS)
Scientific unit: Dep. Knowledge Technologies for the Social Sciences (WTS)
In the modern connected world full of digital information and scholarly content, identifying the most relevant resources has become a challenge. A researcher in any discipline of knowledge now has to depend on online portals, digital libraries and electronic repositories for reporting as well as finding scientific articles in an area. Till now this has been provided by various search engines by treating the task of scholarly article search as a web search problem. This has completely ignored the bibliometric information and associated metadata of scholarly articles. It is now the high time that scholarly article search is viewed as an independent problem and solutions should focus on all aspects of the problem.
The idea of this workshop is to bring together concepts from Information Retrieval and Scientometrics to identify scholarly articles relevant to a given information need (or a context) and rank them based on their relevance to the information need as well as their scholarly quality. The workshop will aim to bring together researchers working on this task from different perspectives (namely Computer Science, Informatics and Bibliometrics). The workshop will have invited presentations, posters and intensive panel discussions on the area and will aim to set a direction of future research in the area, including strengthening the bilateral cooperation between India and Germany in the area.
The workshop is expected to provide a suitable discussion forum to understand the problems in the area and come up with recommendations for required research efforts. Both India and Germany have interested researchers in the area. Expertise of researchers in both countries also complement each other in a way. The bilateral workshop will no doubt prove to be an important milestone for advancement of research in the area and also for long term bilateral academic cooperation between India and Germany.
Workshop proceedings will be published in open access with the CEUR workshop proceedings publication service. Electronic copy will also be uploaded for free and open access on different academic repositories and IGSTC website, subject to their approvals.
Runtime11.-13. June 2019
- Indo-German Science & Technology Centre (IGSTC)
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
- Cabanac, G., Frommholz, I., & Mayr, P. (2018). Bibliometric-enhanced information retrieval: preface. Scientometrics, 116(2), 1225–1227. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-018-2861-0
- Mayr, P., Frommholz, I., Cabanac, G., Chandrasekaran, M. K., Jaidka, K., Kan, M.-Y., & Wolfram, D. (2018). Introduction to the Special Issue on Bibliometric-Enhanced Information Retrieval and Natural Language Processing for Digital Libraries (BIRNDL). International Journal on Digital Libraries, 19(2–3), 107–111. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00799-017-0230-x
- Uddin, A. Kumar, J., Marisha and Singh, V.K. (2016). A Sciento-text Framework to Characterize Research Strength of Institutions at Fine-grained Thematic Area Level. Scientometrics. Vol. 106, No. 3, pp. 1135-1150
- Wolfram, D. (2015). The symbiotic relationship between information retrieval and Informetrics. Scientometrics, Vol. 102, No. 03, pp. 2201-2214.